Veneers are thin shells of dental porcelain or composite which are bonded to the tooth surface in order to alter the size, shape, shade, position and overall appeal of the tooth. Veneers can be fabricated to correct the following: -
Lengthening or short of worn teeth
Improving tooth shape or shade
Making aged teeth look youthful
Gaps in Teeth
Smile which is not in harmony with the facial structures
Veneers are ideal for those patients whose teeth are deeply stained or yellowed, whose teeth have become worn down with age, for lengthening teeth that appear too short, for closing a small gap between teeth or making other minor adjustments in tooth spacing or position.
It is not recommended to those patients who have poor oral hygiene / cavity, who have the habit to clench their teeth or bite their nails, who have exposed root surfaces, crowded teeth etc.
A detailed consultation should be done with the dentist to understand the advantages and disadvantages. Find out the types of veneers and which one will be best for you and your teeth. Post treatment results can be visualised by digital designing and wax mock-ups.
Don't forget to ask your Cosmetic Dentist for His/ Her qualifications and experience in the field of veneers. Your Cosmetic Dentist can also show you before and after images of cases similar to yours, for you to get a better understanding of the final outcome and quality of work. Ask your dentist about various brands like Empress, IPS Emax, Lumineers, Da Vinci etc.
Professional photographs and Models are made of your teeth before starting treatment.
Professional cleaning of teeth should be done prior to the veneer procedure.
Your dentist will make study models of your teeth. These models are used by your dentist to give you a mock up of what your teeth can look like when the porcelain veneers are in place. At this time you and your dentist can discuss the size, shape and colour of your new porcelain veneers. Once these models are approved, an appointment can be set up for the actual procedure.
Local anaesthesia is generally recommended if there will be tooth preparation to avoid any discomfort. Once the preparation of your teeth is completed your dentist will take an impression of your teeth. This impression will be used by the dental laboratory to create your custom porcelain veneers.
Once the veneers are fabricated, you will return to have them placed onto your teeth. Initially your dentist will place the veneers to check that the colour, shape and size is as desired. If they meet all your expectations, the dentist will permanently fix them to your teeth creating your new smile.
- Dental visits should continue as usual. Brushing and flossing will help prevent decay around your veneers. Porcelain veneers are quite strong but it is possible to break / fracture them.
- The following activities should be avoided like breaking nuts with teeth, tearing open packages, biting and tearing hard items and ice chewing.
- Do wear mouth guards if you are a sports person.
- Maintain oral hygiene by regular brushing twice a day and flossing.
- Visit your dentist every 3 - 6 months.
- Eat healthy foods like green vegetables, fruits and dairy products like milk, cheese.
- Drink plenty of water before and after meals so the unwanted food particles are flushed out.
- Limit the consumption of acidic foods and beverages like tea, coffee, fizzy drinks.
- Limit the consumption of sticky foods like pizza, candies, chocolates etc.
- Avoid biting finger nails, pen's cap, pencils etc and avoid using your teeth to open bottles or to tear packets.
Teeth whitening procedure was very comfortable, pain free and quick. I had no problems or sensitivity afterwards. Would recommend Dr. Krinita to everyone I know...
Dr. Motwani has been my dentist of choice for over a decade now. Although I have lived in different parts of the world during the period, I have relied on Krinita to address my dental needs.
Dr. Krinita Motwani is excellent at her job, she has given my teeth the perfect and original look. Her treatment, attitude towards work is extremely genuine and her judgement to the point. Thank you Doctor wishing you all the best.