Dr Krinita Motwani
Don’t hesitate to smile because of your yellow, stained, dull teeth.. Tooth whitening is the perfect solution to a dazzling smile with shining white brilliant teeth!! The procedure involves application of whitening gels containing hydrogen peroxide which oxidize the stains and remove them completely.
Tooth whitening is ideal for patients who have extrinsic stains on their teeth due to smoking, wine, coffee, tea, cola etc. Age is another factor that can cause your teeth to yellow.
Everyone wants to look as pretty as an angel on their special days like engagements, weddings etc. But why not sport a beautiful sparkle in your smile for a birthday or anniversary or a job interview or maybe just about every day?
It is not recommended to those patients who have sensitive teeth , exposed root surfaces , caps (crowns), veneers or fillings and if there is any internal discolouration due to injury / trauma.
A detailed consultation should be done with the dentist to understand the advantages and disadvantages. Find out the various methods for tooth whitening and which one is best suited for your teeth .Professional cleaning of teeth should be done prior to the tooth whitening procedure.
Don’t forget to ask your Cosmetic Dentist for His/ Her qualifications and experience in the field of veneers. Your Cosmetic Dentist can also show you before and after images of cases similar to yours, for you to get a better understanding of the final outcome and quality of work.
The procedure usually requires only one office visit. The dentist will apply either a protective gel to your gums or a rubber shield to protect your gums. Bleaching gel is then applied to the teeth. A special light or laser might be used to enhance the action of the whitening agent. Not all offices offer this type of system so speak with your dentist and see if this is an option. This session lasts 10 to 15 minutes. Two or three of these sessions may be required varying from case to case. We offer two types of tooth whitening procedures:
In Office Bleach: 45-60 minutes is all it takes to get that sparkle in your smile that you have always wanted! It is done under our supervision where the gums and other soft tissues are isolated by either applying a protective gel to your gums or a rubber shield to protect your gums, bleaching gel is then applied to the teeth, followed by activation of the gel with a Plasma /LED light to enhance the action of the whitening agent. The session lasts 10 to 15 minutes. Two or three sessions may be required varying from case to case.
At Home Bleach: Customized transparent trays are prepared to fit the teeth which hold the whitening gel, to be worn at night. Since Home bleach gels contain a lower concentration of hydrogen peroxide, the whitening process is slower as compared to the In-office power bleach technique.
For 24 hours after whitening of tooth:-
– Avoid any food / drinks that would leave a stain on teeth.
– No smoking for 24 hours.
– Avoid mouthwash for 24 hours.
– Use an anti-sensitive tooth paste if you experience sensitivity due to the procedure.
– Do touch ups or booster sessions to maintain the brightness of your whitened teeth.
– Don’t use over the counter products like tooth whitening pastes, strips, gels, pens or any other home remedy like baking soda to whiten your teeth. It may sometimes harm your teeth and gums. Get a recommendation from your dentist.
– Maintain oral hygiene by regular brushing twice a day and flossing.
– Visit your dentist every 3 – 6 months.
– Eat healthy foods like green vegetables, fruits and dairy products like milk, cheese.
– Drink plenty of water before and after meals so the unwanted food particles are flushed out.
– Limit the consumption of acidic foods and beverages like tea, coffee, fizzy drinks.
– Limit the consumption of sticky foods like pizza, candies, chocolates etc.
– Avoid biting finger nails, pen’s cap, pencils etc and avoid using your teeth to open bottles or to tear packets.