There is a close connection between a person’s mental health and his physical health. Also, only the best dentist in Mumbai can tell you that those who suffer from mental illnesses also suffer from poor oral health. Some of the most common mental illnesses which have a negative impact on a person’s dental health include: anxiety and panic attacks, obsessive-compulsive disorder, psychosis, schizophrenia, eating disorders, depression, etc. Some of the most common mental illnesses can have an adverse impact on a person’s dental health with depression or affective disorders causing general neglect, damaged gums through over-rigorous brushing of the teeth or attrition of the teeth caused by excessive grinding.
Main issues for those suffering from mental health
People who suffer from mental illnesses neglect their oral health so much that they cause the following maladies which in turn affect the health of their teeth:
- Neglect: Research has shown that people suffering from mental health issues neglect their dental health so much that it results in oral health issues. This may result in gum disease and tooth decay.
- Anxiety: Many people who suffer from some form of dental phobia are said to be suffering from oral health issues because they stop seeing their dentist regularly, which in turn results in infrequent dental visits.
- Eating disorders: People who suffer from conditions like Bulimia often experience dental erosion from the acidity in vomit. Low levels of calcium could also affect their teeth adversely.
- Brushing actions: Over rigorous brushing of their teeth by people suffering from bipolar disorders or some such disease could result in them brushing away the enamel on the surface of their teeth.
- Medication: Some people who are suffering from other mental health disorders may be taking medication which can affect their oral health. These people suffer from dry mouth or other diseases. This results from reduced saliva flow in the mouth.
Therefore, it is very vital for carers to be aware of the connection between a person’s mental health and his oral health. People suffering from mental health issues should realize the importance of oral health hygiene and be motivated to maintain good dental habits.
Thus, there are three key takeaways from what we have just read.
- Brush at night and one more time a day with fluoride toothpaste.
- Reduce their intake of sugary foods
- Visit the dentist as they are recommended
Dr. Krinita Motwani’s dental clinic in Mumbai plays a vital role in helping those with mental illnesses realize that smoking, tobacco intake, drinking of alcohol and excessive drug abuse could lead to serious dental problems.
By encouraging such people to lead a healthier lifestyle which is devoid of stress and anxiety, Dr. Krinita Motwani’s team of dental surgeons will be doing a service to people who suffer from severe dental problems due to their mental health issues.