This procedure involves coating the deep grooves of the molar teeth to prevent accumulation and growth of bacteria which promote decay. This is done in adults as well as children.
Pits and fissure sealants are recommended for young children, teens etc who are more prone to tooth decay due to improper and rushed oral hygiene regime. Kids have eating surfaces with deeper grooves which encourage food accumulation and in turn decay of teeth. Sealants are protective coatings applied on teeth to make the eating surface smooth which discourages food accumulation and bacterial growth on teeth.
You have heard the expression-“Prevention is better than cure” and it has never been truer than in dental health.
A thorough dental evaluation of your child’s new permanent teeth will determine whether or not they have an increased risk for developing dental caries. If pits and fissures are deep enough to warrant the application of a sealant the dentist will give this recommendation. After your all questions are answered the dentist will start the procedure. Professional cleaning of teeth should be done prior to sealant application.
It is a simple pain free procedure taking about 10 minutes per tooth. No natural tooth structure is reduced.
Application steps are-
– The tooth in question is isolated with cotton roll to avoid contamination with saliva.
– The chewing surfaces of the tooth are cleaned thoroughly with a chemical after which the tooth is rinsed and dried.
– Sealant is then painted on to the tooth enamel where it bonds directly to the tooth and hardens. A special curing light is used to help the sealant harden.This makes the chewing surfaces of the teeth smooth and easy to clean.
After sealant application on the teeth:-
The patient can eat and drink immediately right after the procedure. There are no such restrictions in post sealant procedure.
– Maintain oral hygiene by regular brushing twice a day and flossing.
– Visit your dentist every 3 – 6 months.
– Eat healthy foods like green vegetables, fruits and dairy products like milk, cheese.
– Drink plenty of water before and after meals so the unwanted food particles are flushed out.
– Limit the consumption of acidic foods and beverages like tea, coffee, fizzy drinks.
– Limit the consumption of sticky foods like pizza, candies, chocolates etc.
– Avoid biting finger nails, pen’s cap, pencils etc and avoid using your teeth to open bottles or to tear packets.