DENTAL AVULSION– Dental avulsion is a complete displacement of a tooth from its socket due to trauma.
Losing baby teeth naturally is a common phenomenon. But losing permanent teeth too soon might be a serious problem.
Your child might knock out a tooth or a few teeth while playing and here are a few things to know.
What can be done immediately and at home?
- Keep calm and do not panic.
- Hold the tooth from the crown and not the root as you might damage the vitality of the tooth.
- Try and put the tooth back in the socket but it is best to get it to the dentist by immersing it into milk to prevent the root surface from drying out.
- Ensure it is a permanent tooth and not a milk tooth as the milk tooth might damage the permanent tooth if you place it over it.
- Seek emergency treatment immediately.
Once you visit the dentist, your child will be put at ease. The dentist will then place the tooth back in the socket and compress it for it to stay.
A root canal treatment will be required to keep the tooth in place and function.
Contact sports should be avoided till healing takes place.
A mouth guard is advisable to avoid any sort of injury. It is customised according to the child’s jaw
Don’t panic if your child knocks out a tooth.
Contact your dentist at the earliest.
Dr. Krinita Motwani
Khar west, Mumbai.
Mbl : 9820280343.
Website : www.drkrinitamotwani.com