You brush, you floss and you do many things to keep your teeth clean and healthy. But how much have you thought about the specific types of food that go into your mouth.
There are foods that can help in keeping your teeth strong and healthy and there are foods that can increase the acidity and erode the enamel.
Here is a list of foods..
You SHOULD EAT…
- Some of the best food choices you can make for your oral health include cheeses, meats, nuts, and milk. These foods are high in calcium and phosphorus, two minerals that help to keep your tooth enamel strong.
- Crunchy fruits and vegetables are a great snack for your teeth as they have high fiber and water content which dilutes their natural sugars. When eaten, these foods scrape against teeth and their water content helps to wash away food particles on teeth.
- Water is the best beverage when it comes to the health of your mouth.
- Starchy foods like potato chips, white bread, white pasta, and crackers contain more sugars than whole wheat alternatives. If not removed soon after eating, these sugars will result in destructive acids that can harm teeth and gums.
- If acidic foods and beverages like lemons, limes, oranges, tea, coffee, aerated drinks, cola and pickles are taken in excess or kept in the mouth for an extended amount of time, the acids in them can eat away the enamel. This erosion of enamel weakens the strength of the tooth and can leave them susceptible to sensitivity and decay.
- Excessive sugar intake can also be harmful for your teeth. Bacteria feeds on the sugar stuck on your teeth and later on produce acids which lead to tooth decay.
“…Be true to your teeth and they’ll never be false to you…”